From the April 2004 issue
Back to Index
Supermarine 510 back together at Yeovilton
SUPERMARINE 510 W106, which in November 1950 became the first swept-wing
jet both to land and to take off from an aircraft carrier, was
reassembled for the first time in 15 years at the Fleet Air Arm Museum's
Cobham storage hall at Yeovilton during January.
Completed in March 2000, the hall will open to the public on selected
dates for the first time this year: May 29, July 25 and Friday September
17, the day before the Yeovilton Airshow. The reassembly of W106 became
particularly poignant in early February, when former Supermarine test
pilot Dave Morgan died after a short illness. Morgan flew W106 on
several occasions; on September 2,1953, he took W106 for its first
flight following repairs to damage caused by undercarriage failure at
Farnborough the previous November.
The tailwheel 510, a swept-wing development of the Attacker, first flew
in December 1948 from Boscombe Down with Mike Lithgow at the helm. In
1950 it was modified for deck landing trials and on November 8 Royal
Navy pilot Lt J. Elliot made the first landing on HMS Illustrious, with
another 11 landings and take-offs being achieved that day. It made its
last flight on January 14, 1955. It later became an exhibit at the RAF
Colerne, St Athan and Cosford museums, being allotted to the Fleet Air
Arm Museum in 1989.
ABOVE Supermarine 510 W1O6 in one piece again at the Fleet Air Arm
Museum's Cobham Hall storage centre at Yeovilton in January.