Photo CDs
Site Map
Old Magazines
Condor Aerial View
Aeroplane Monthly
Photo Gallery
Air stations
Classes of '49
Scimitar file
Guest book
849D Flight
45 Commando




Brian Auger

Click images to enlarge. Back to Profiles Page Here

BRIAN AUGER Married to Janet. Children: David aged 45 & Carol aged 42. 3 grandchildren.
Now living in Lee-on-Solent
                                                                                                                           Brian as an apprentice

At CONDOR from September 1950 to May 1953.
Left the RN on the 27th April, 1973.

      " As '5s', we did about four months on HMS THESEUS, part of which was spent painting it for the Spithead Review before sailing to the Med. - and that was my total sea time. I had a day on a frigate, returning from a rugby match at Guernsey, and a couple of hours on HMS ARK ROYAL as the guest of Richard Van Kempen one Christmas when she was visiting Valetta, Malta. This came in handy later on because I was able to say: 'ARK ROYAL' when asked what was my last ship!
      "As a '4', I spent some time at 'Sleepy Hollow' (the Aircraft Holding Unit at Lossiemouth) with plenty of time for cricket behind the hangar. I was then moved to HMS DAEDALUS in charge of Tiger Moths and the Dope Shop - which was very handy. With a crew of mostly WRNS, I built a Tiger Moth from spare parts and it was a very satisfying achievement when it received an Air Worthiness Certificate."

Brian in THESEUS

"I failed the first '3s' oral examination because I could not remember how to turn a taper, and the Examining Board did not know a lot about Tiger Moths. (I had done an Avon engine course at Rolls Royce, but did not mention this). Eventually, I was returned to Lossiemouth as 'Scimitar Trained', because of my Avon course, but before I left Lee-on-Solent, I had my scheduled draft delayed because of my daughter's pending birth. As the aircraft activity was virtually at an end, the only useful job going at the time was as a rum rate for the Chief's Mess. It's strange the things one remembers because this job only lasted a month. Anyway, I joined Lossiemouth and was shown a Scimitar - number 610 - mainly in bits, and I was told, 'That's yours - and by the way, you are Duty Chief today' (which meant attending to the aircraft on the 'line'. It was quite an experience as, apart from never having seen it, I had not even heard of pressure refuelling. It was almost as bad when I had to 'run' one up for the first time. However, with never a faint heart and the volume on my lap, I somehow got away with it."
      "While I was there at Lossiemouth, I was not cleared for married quarters as I was pending foreign service. I recall the AEO suggesting that I should volunteer for 803 Sqdn, as he would be taking it over. I declined the suggestion and my foreign service turned out to be Malta. I had two-and-a-half very happy years there. Then I returned to Arbroath as an Instructor. While I was there, I did a week's youth leadership course at ROYAL ARTHUR and, while enjoying the hospitality of that Mess decided that I wouldn't mind a spell there. I recall that President Kennedy was assassinated the day I returned to Arbroath and not long after that I learned that I was going to ROYAL ARTHUR and married quarters were already allocated at Chippenham."
      "This move turned out to be my final involvement with the FAA, as I stayed with the General Service until I left the RN. While I was at ROYAL ARTHUR, I helped to introduce management into what had primarily been a leadership course. The logical follow-on to that was for me to join the work-study group at VICTORY (now NELSON). On completion of the course, I had a short spell at the Barracks and DOLPHIN before moving to Whitehall. It was certainly a different way of life! It was my introduction to computers and IBM, as we used IBM's services for a documentation study. I then returned to the work-study school (renamed the Management School) as an instructor and while I was there, notice of a foreign draft came through. However, it was concluded that I would be more usefully employed where I was than being returned to the FAA as an 'out-of-touch' AA. So that is where I stayed, and I was fortunate enough to be able to fit in an HNC in Business Studies at Tooting Technical College. Because MBO became the 'in' thing at that time, I found myself on several Management Accountancy courses at London and Bristol."

      "My first civilian job was with the Personnel Department at Marconi as a consultant on a job evaluation study, which was being conducted there. IBM was then in the process of moving to Portsmouth and fortunately took me on - primarily in their Finance Methods & Procedures Department. It was a good company to work for and I even got in some foreign time (First Class, of course!). I finally retired at 58. Having declined one offer, I couldn't refuse the second redundancy package on offer. It wasn't called 'redundancy' because that was an alien word at IBM, but that was what it was.
      "Since I retired, I have virtually had more sea time than when I was in the RN. I have certainly seen much more of the world and enjoyed being at sea, as it has been considerably more comfortable than being in dear old THESEUS.
      "Until very recently, I have been lucky to have very few health problems, but they appear to be catching up lately. I'm not completely falling to bits but it feels like it sometimes, and a wrong diagnosis hasn't helped. I'm getting old, I'm told. True, but it is not readily accepted. The main problem I have is a wonky knee, which could badly affect my plans for the next couple of years. You see, I am the vice captain of the Hampshire, Isle of Wight & Channel Isles Golf Club Past Captains, and I am due to be Captain next year. We have, amongst other commitments, 14 matches to play against other counties and the Captain plays in all of them. Whether I will be able to accept this honour remains to be seen."